Friday 2 September 2016

Ragnar Kjartansson at the Barbican

Had a lovely calm time drawing and getting lost at the Barbican on a sunny September afternoon. The hidden corners remain quiet as ever, just occasional residents passing through; a dad teaching his daughter to bike ride and some workers escaped home early. Though so appealing to the eye the architecture is a sadistic choice to draw! Inspired by the recent Christopher Wood show, I went sloppy on the detail / angles and am pretty happy with the result.  Made a photomontage on my shit camera phone to preserve the memory.


I didn't love all Ragnar Kjartansson's work but there were some pieces I did, so that's absolutely enough isn't it.  The 144 portraits of his friend Pall, made one-a-day in a crumbly Venice palazzo, and this piece (in my pic below) comprising 9 musicians - each in a different room of a huge house - somehow playing songs together.  Both pieces most evocatively rendering and placing me in the space as if I were right there too. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment